The Australian transport and logistics sector employs an impressive 1.2 million people. Recently Safe Work Australia identified this sector as a priority for improving worker health and safety. Cue the Driving Health Study, which was established in conjunction with the research team at Monash University.
This study arrives ahead of the Chain of Responsibility (CoR) laws which will come into effect October 1, 2018. It has identified the main factors affecting all types of employees in the transport industry, from drivers to logistics and warehousing to executives.
The study, which is now in its second phase, has already discovered insightful findings, which will hopefully form the basis of better business processes to protect driver health and safety.
“Our objective is to develop interventions that, upon completion of the study, can be implemented by employers, regulators, drivers and others in the sector,” Monash University noted in a statement.
Driving Health Report – Key findings
- There were 120,742 accepted compensation claims for work-related injury and illness in truck drivers between 2004 – 2015
- Loss of productive working time because of these claims equals 1,071,230 weeks or 22,317 years
- 545 compensated fatalities among truck drivers during 2004 and 2015
- During this period truck drivers were 13x higher risk of dying at work than other Australian workers
- Three-quarters of work-related deaths in truck drivers were the result of truck crashes
- Drivers aged 65+ are at the highest risk for work-related injury
- The most common type of injury among truck drivers was musculoskeletal injuries, generally, back pain. Drivers suffering from these types of injuries took on average five weeks off work
- Mental health problems weren’t as common as expected, however driving facing mental health challenges took more than 10 weeks off work
If you’re in the transport industry and are looking to take part in this study, all the details involving your input can be found on the Monash Driving Health page.
As one of Australia’s premier trailer manufacturers, The Drake Group are proud of their safety record. We prioritise the health and wellness of each and every worker, stakeholder and customer who deals with us. If you’re looking for a transport heavy haulage trailer to help optimise safety and efficiency, contact The Drake Group today.